If you carry a portable computer or laptop around with you, keep it out of sight when you are travelling. Do not leave it in view in a car, even when you are in the car yourself - thieves may try to snatch it when the car is stationary.
- Only use a portable computer in public places or on public transport if it is absolutely necessary - keep vigilant at all times.
- Remember that thieves will recognise the special cases that portable computers come in.
- Conceal them in a briefcase or bag instead.
- Carry back-up disks and if you are able to, hard disk drives separately. Do not leave a portable computer lying about in the office - keep it locked away.
- Security mark your computer with the unique TLS ID Security & Recovery Service plate. Also keep track of your assets and information.
- Where is it?
- Who has it?
- What information is on it?